- Last Updated On :
- The Department of Dietetics at AIIMS was established in the year 1959.
- Diet is an important & integral part of curative & prevention health care management.
- Dietary services at AIIMS is the first public sector hospital to obtain Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) license.
- Dietary services are digitalized through the E-Hospital software.
- Dietary Services in AIIMS Hospital involves three distinct categories :
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Food Service Management
- Teaching, Training & Research
- To provide exemplary medical nutrition therapy and hospital food services for patients.
- To provide healthy, hygienic, therapeutic diet to help patients to recover fast.
Role of Dietary Services
- To maintain good nutritional status of all patients.
- To educate patients about how diet plays a major role in the treatment of various diseases.
- To modify the daily diet pattern of patients to meet their requirement during various diseased condition.
- To correct deficiencies especially in patients with prolonged hospital stay like cancer patients and critical care unit patients.
- Diet therapy in most instances is not a remedy in itself but is a measure which supplements or makes the medical or surgical treatment more effective.
- To take care of dietary needs of Indoor General ward & Private ward patients every day. There are various kinds of diet being sent to the patients based on Nutritional screening and Nutritional assessment done by the Dieticians.